Mashhad University of Medical Sciences (MUMS) is a medical school in Iran. Located in Razavi Khorasan province in the city of Mashhad, it was established in 1949 with Ferdowsi University of Mashad and separated in 1986 from its parent institution by national legislation.
The university is currently ranked as one of the best in the Middle East. In 2001, its department of Medicine was ranked first among the Iranian universities. The latest rankings put Mashhad University in 3rd place nationally.
MUMS has 8 faculties, operates 32 hospitals plus 179 rural and 147 urban health care centers. Its faculty include 600 teaching staff, 1700 physicians, 140 dentists, 130 pharmacists, and 25,402 staff employees. In 2001, 7,000 students were enrolled full-time.
Mashhad Faculty of Medicine was officially opened on November 23, 1949 by Dr Zanganeh, the minister of culture. The school started out with 61 students, one associate professor and seven tutors. In 1956, when the School of Arts opened, the two schools merged to form the University of Mashhad.
In 1989, the faculties offering Medical Sciences' degrees across the country separated from the Ministry of Culture and Higher Education. New emerging medical universities have gone under management of Ministry of Health, Treatment and Medical Education. Thus the original University of Mashhad was divided into two independent universities: Ferdowsi University of Mashhad and Mashhad University of Medical Sciences.
Mashhad University of Medical Sciences operates with 8 faculties, 32 hospitals, 179 rural and 147 urban health centers. It covers an enormous area stretching from the northeast to the central parts of the country, which makes it the largest university of medical sciences providing health care and treatment services. With 597 teaching staff, 1645 MDs with different specialties, 138 dentists, 123 pharmacists and 25, 402 employees, the university provides health care and medical services to the area's large population as well as to over 25 million tourists a year.
MUMS's mission is
to provide highly standard education to our students and improve our community health. It accomplishes these goals by providing educational opportunities in many biomedical and clinical sciences, by conducting research on the variety of areas, by providing comprehensive, innovative and cutting-edge patient care, and by facilitating public access to education and care through its public service and outreach activities.
MUMS has a four-part, province wide mission to provide:
- Educational programs and an environment that stimulates the spirit of inquiry, initiative and cooperation among students, faculty and staff
- High-quality health care emphasizing the application of new knowledge
- Basic and clinical research that promotes health, prevention and treatment of diseases
- Outreach programs in health education, research and patient care that support the university's mission to serve as a province wide resource for health care providers
Mashhad University of Medical Sciences is committed to:
- Maintaining the highest international and Islamic standards of ethics and equality in research, teaching and administration.
- Advancing the intellectual, cultural and especially medical welfare of khorasan.
- Working with other national and international universities to enrich intellectual discourse.
- Creating a diverse, harmonious scholarly community committed to equity and merit as the fundamental principles through which staff and students are encouraged and assisted to realize their full potential.
- Achieving EXCELLENCE through teamwork, leadership, creativity, and a strong work ethic.
- Achieving EFFICIENCY through wise use of human and financial resources.
- Building relationship on honesty, integrity, and trust.
Mashhad University of Medical Sciences is the main responsible of health of the Khorasan community. Its fundamental purpose is to ensure and improve the health of all people of Khorasan. This vital responsibility requires the kind of synergism fostered in MUMS academic environment among its patient care, education, research and community service components. The benefits that accrue to the citizens of Khorasan from the existence of MUMS as an academic health center in the province include:
- The highest quality, most advanced care backed by leading-edge medical innovations, modern technologies and research
- A complete range of health care and services, from the basic to the highly specialized
- Training for the health care professionals and biomedical scientists of today and tomorrow
- A magnet for the intellectual capital needed to build on today's knowledge for tomorrow's world
- Care for sick, most vulnerable and underserved citizens
- Extensive community outreach programs that make these benefits available throughout Khorasan entire 313,000 square kilometers and beyond.
Schools & faculties
- Nursing & Midwifery
- Traditional Medicine
- Dr. Sheikh
- Dr. Shariati
- Emam Reza
- Shahid Hashemi Nezhad
- Shahid Kamyab
- Dental Research Center
- Dental Material Research Center
- Ear, Nose, Throat, Head & Neck Research Center
- Electron Microscope
- Endocrinology and Metabolism
- Endoscopic & Minimal Invasive Surgery
- Eye Research Center
- Lung Diseases & TB Research Center
- Medical Toxicology
- Microbiology & Virology
- Montaserieh Research & Clinical Center for Infertility
- Nano Medicine Research Center
- Neonatal Research Center
- Nuclear Medicine
- Neuroscience Research Center
- Oral & Maxillofacial diseases
- Orthopedic Surgery
- Pharmacological of Medicinal Plants
- Pharmacological Research Center of Medicinal Plants
- Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences Research Center
- Skin Disease and Cutaneous leishmaniasis
- Surgical Oncology Research Center
- Vascular and Endovascular Surgery Research Center
- Women's health
- Medical Physics
Admissions for foreign students
To fulfill its international standing and obligations, MUMS admits students from different countries.
Students thinking of higher education in the field of medicine or other branches of medical sciences, or of advancing your future career, can apply. In addition to a variety of BSc programs related to medical sciences, one can directly apply for professional doctoral programs in Medicine, Dentistry, and Pharmacy to get a degree from one of the best medical sciences universities.
- Journal of Mashhad Dental School
- Journal of Fundamentals of Mental Health
- The Iranian Journal of Medical Physics
- The Iranian Journal of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Infertility
- Medical Journal of Mashhad University of Medical Sciences
- Iranian Journal of Neonatology
- Iranian Journal of Otorhinolaryngology
- Iranian Journal of Basic Medical Sciences
- Future of Medical Education Journal
- Avicenna Journal of Phytomedicine
- Evidence Based Care
- Journal of Fasting and Health
- Dental Material and Techniques
Webometrics Ranking of World Universities, 2012: International Rank: 1459, National Rank: 11.